Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Feeling random

I have a few random thoughts that I would like to share this evening:
1) My blog post from a couple weeks ago, "I am what I've been through", had nearly 2,000 page views. That is insane. Most of my posts have less than 100 views. If I tag Troy on a post I might get up to 200. But my post about suffering and my perspective on it was shared by two of the pastors at my church and look what happened! It is overwhelming for me to think about how many people read my words and hopefully were impacted by them in some positive way.

2) I've been thinking lately that the word "chemotherapy" is a really stupid word. When I think of "therapy", I think of positive things. I think of physical therapy, which is a profession I have worked with for nine years and have enjoyed the benefits of over the last few months. I think of massage therapy, which feels good. I think of occupational therapy, which assists people with daily living. I think of mental health therapy in all of its forms. I think of art therapy and music therapy. For me, therapy is positive. But then, when you put the word "chemo" in front of it, "therapy" becomes very bad. Yes, chemotherapy is destroying bad cancer cells in my body and that is a good thing. But chemotherapy feels very bad. Here are a few ideas for new terms that can be used: chemosorrythissucks, chemothismightmakeyoupuke, chemohellofatigure, chemobaldhead. I'll let you know when the medical community picks up on my suggestions.

3) And now here is a story from last week's chemo. Everything was done and I was back home by noon. I knew that I needed to call my mom to let her know that things had gone well, but I wanted to get my cooking done for Christmas first. I worked all afternoon, and finally got around to calling my mom around 4pm. I started telling her that things went well, that there was a therapy dog, and then she interrupted me and said I had already told her all of these things. Huh? Apparently I called my mom right when I got home, had an entire conversation with her, and then completely forgot about it. This confirmed for me that I definitely should not be held responsible for any decisions I make following chemo. And that I should just go home and sit quietly while the drugs wear off.

Okay, that's it for my random thoughts this evening. I do chemo on Thursday this week because they are closed on Friday (New Year's Day). I will be accompanied by the beautiful Marianne, who plans parties like a pro and has been talking about bringing mocktails and hors d'oeuvres. We'll wear matching unicorn/butterfly/rainbow kitten shirts and bring in the new year with Dubai!





No comments:

Post a Comment