Monday, February 1, 2016

You can't get coverage

Although today was supposed to be a rest day for me, Troy and I ended up meeting with our financial advisor for our annual review. I am happy to report that Troy and I can both retire at 65 and die at 95 with money to spare. One thing that came up was life insurance. I bought a term policy before Marah was born, and I can extend it when it expires without any medical exams. I always knew this was a good thing, but today it was really obvious just how good. As our financial advisor explained, I probably can't get life insurance now that I have cancer in my medical background (or it would be super expensive). I hadn't thought about that (why would I, really?). And, it makes me wonder what else has changed now that I've had cancer. What else haven't I thought about? Are there things that I should have done before cancer that I won't be able to do now? I suppose those things will be revealed to me as they come along. It just isn't something I thought much about until now.

In other news, Janice has made a return to our household. Marah is sick, and I can feel Janice making an attempt to hang out in my body again. I am hoping that since I'm not going to get poisoned on Friday my body can fight Janice off successfully. I know I haven't done a good job of letting my body recover from this last round of chemo, though. In my mind I'm done with chemo, so I should be feeling awesome right away. I have tried to do way too much these last couple of days and I'm afraid I'll pay for it by needing a little extra time to feel better. But I will feel amazing soon and that makes me so happy!

To wrap things up tonight, I have two action items for my lovely readers:

  1. If you've been putting off purchasing life insurance, don't wait. Buy it while you're healthy. Because you never know when that can all change. 
  2. If you don't have a will, find yourself a lawyer and get one. It isn't something we worried much about until Marah came along, but it is so important to have your wishes clearly (and legally) articulated. 
So, that's it from here! Good night everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment