Friday, January 29, 2016

And then there were none

I won't lie. There were many times when I thought this day would never come. I am finally done with the treatment phase of my recovery from cancer! My last chemo session was this morning. 134 days since chemo began way back on September 18, 2015. 16 treatments in just over 19 weeks. I estimate about 80 hours of being in the treatment center. It was a long haul but it is finally over. Hopefully forever. I don't think the magnitude of this has really hit me yet. I had cancer. And now I don't. That's big.

I was joined today by Angela and Troy. If anyone who reads this is going to get cancer in the future, I want you to know that Angela Hall is by far the best cancer buddy anybody could ask for. She either picked me up and drove me to chemo or met me there multiple times despite being a stay-at-home mom to four kids age four and under (including 10 month old twins). She has surprised me with little gifts along this journey and she stuck by me for the entire thing. She's pretty amazing. Yesterday she presented me with the shirt I got to wear today and a necklace with two charms. One says "Warrior" and the other "I may have lost my hair but I won the battle." Pretty cool stuff. Then, today she arrived with my "last day of chemo" poster, a graduation cake, and a princess crown. Most impressive, though, is that she contacted many of my friends and co-workers and asked them to provide messages for my last day on cards. It was wonderful to read so many kind and encouraging words!


Angela and me with my graduation cake!
All of the great cards and messages I received

My awesome chemo shirt, necklace and last day poster, compliments of Angela!

Why not have a fun photo shoot on the last day of chemo?





So, now what? This week I did have some additional side effects of Taxol pop up. My finger nails are turning a little brown, and it feels like I have dirt shoved under them. It hurts a little bit, but not too much yet. I also have developed tingling in my left foot. The nails and tingling should go away within a few weeks. I'm a pretty rare case in that these things took so long to show up. But I've been a weird one from the start.
On Thursday, Troy and I will meet with the plastic surgeon to discuss the replacement surgery that I have on February 29. I'll learn what kind of implants I'll get (there are tons of options) and we'll discuss the healing and recovery timeline. There is a possibility that the surgeon will need need to do a fat transfer (read: free liposuction) but that probably won't occur until after the new boobs have settled into place.

Next Friday I have an appointment with the oncologist for my first of many follow-ups. I'll get my prescription for Tamoxifan, which I'll be on for the next five years. I will also then be able to schedule an appointment for a survivorship meeting with an oncology nurse. We'll go over everything I've been through and talk about adjusting to my new life.

There are several other doctors that I'll need to make appointments with who I couldn't see during chemo, but I need to wait until I am healed from surgery. I actually can't wait to visit the dentist. That was a huge no-no during chemo, and I really could use a good teeth cleaning. My vision has worsened during chemo. It could get better over the next few months, so I need to wait to see the eye doctor. And of course the ob/gyn is on the list.

One change that I am making next week is my diet. I've eaten horribly for the last four months, and I am going back on the Farrell's diet because it is easy and it works. I talked with one of my patient care coordinators today and I can start exercising but I should start with walking and take my time building up to more vigorous exercise. I mentioned kickboxing to her and she looked at me like I was a lunatic. But I'll get there eventually!

Okay, this is getting long. I want to end by thanking everyone who stood by my side during this crazy ordeal. Troy did a great job of taking care of me and dealing with my random crabby outbursts. Jen Owens organized an amazing benefit and meal train, and helped with Marah when I just couldn't do it. I truly appreciate those who joined me for chemo - Troy, Angela, Denise, Jen, Marianne, Lisa, Alyssa, and my mom. My amazing prayer warriors - Karen Lewis and those in my church group and community. And everyone who sent encouraging messages/cards/gifts - Laura, Jenn, Angie (both of you!), Wendy, Gina, Tiffany, Darcie and others. And my work crew - Kim, Molly, Alicia, Chris, Jennifer, Sadie, Marianne, Lane, Lisa, Alyssa, Anna, and Matt. My parents and family were also amazing. I know that there are so many others who sent prayers up on my behalf and were encouraging to me - it is just impossible to list everyone. But, THANK YOU to you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment