Thursday, September 17, 2015

Boob growth and a wish list

Today I went to the plastic surgeon's office for my first expansion. Basically, this is when they add more fluid to the tissue expanders to create the "breast mound" (ugh, I hate that term). Here is what was waiting for me in the exam room:



So, they stabbed me in each breast and pushed 60cc of fluid into each side, bringing my total to 260cc on each side. Luckily I have absolutely no feeling across my chest so I didn't feel a thing. I feel a little tight now, but not too bad. I have the luxury of taking this process as slowly as I like because the replacement surgery can't be done until about 30 days after chemo ends. So, I will have these delightful expanders until February.

I've had a ton of people asking how they can help. There's my benefit on the 27th, and I'll put more information up about that soon. Or, if you're so inclined, I have created a small wish list of hats and head scarves I would love to have once I lose my hair in a couple of weeks. To access the wish list click here and then enter in my email address (katie.pearce@dmu.edu). The website is pretty temperamental, so you may need to try your search a couple of times to get it to pull. Or, if you find something else that is cute feel free to send it my way. Troy helped me measure my head last night and apparently it is "large." If I have a large head I'm thinking I should get large boobs to balance it all out.

I am also planning on getting a wig, and I will receive a voucher at chemo tomorrow. The voucher is for a shop that my sister-in-law Joy had already recommended to me, so I am pretty excited about it. I have ideas of what I want my wig to look like, but I think I will keep that to myself until I see what my options are. Lucky for me, Joy is the most accomplished hair stylist in the Des Moines area and she is going to help me pick something that will look good on me. If you're local and need a great cut/color, give Joy Streeter a call at Entourage Salon (515.278.8844).

So, chemo starts tomorrow. I have to be at the doctor's office by 8:20am to have my port accessed. Then I have a MUGA (a scan that shows my heart function), a meeting with the oncologist, and then chemo will start. It is going to be a very long day. I chatted with my care coordinator yesterday, and she says most people start to feel the effects by day four. Since I have all kinds of drugs for nausea that shouldn't be a problem, but fatigue very well could be an issue. Everybody seems to be asking me if I'm nervous. No, I'm not really nervous because I don't know what to expect for what I personally will experience. I am most concerned about having my port started because it still feels sensitive. Other than that, I'm sure tomorrow will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment