Sunday, September 20, 2015

Chemo

Friday was my first round of chemo. I had to be at the doctor's office early to have my port accessed for my MUGA test. I was a little nervous about the port, but it ended up not bothering me at all. For the MUGA, they took my blood and mixed it with some radioactive stuff. Then, they put the blood back into me and took three different heart images for about 5 minutes each. It wasn't a bad process at all, and was used to ensure that my heart was good to go for the chemo.

After the MUGA I met with the oncologist (after about an hour wait), and then it was up to the chemo floor. My mom was with me and packed a lunch, which was good because it was a really long process. My appointment was for 11:30am, but we weren't called back until about 12:25pm. Within the chemo area there is an open area with recliners, and also private rooms. I asked for a private room, and luckily there was one available. Basically, the room just has a hospital bed, extra chair for your guest of honor (mom), and a tv. I quickly found HGTV and settled in to watch House Hunters for the afternoon. The nurses were all nice, and explained things pretty thoroughly. I first got a couple IV bags of anti-nausea medication and steroids. Then, the nurse purshed the "red devil" chemo into me. I had to suck on ice the entire time, otherwise it can do bad things to the inside of your mouth. After the red devil junk, I got a second type of chemo drug. It was all done by around 3:00.

I felt fine during the process, and was told that the nausea would be pretty well controlled and I should feel okay. Well, that was a big lie. By 5:45pm Friday I thought I was going to die. The nausea was overwhelming and I felt like death. Some of my sweet friends from my church group brought by a care package which was so appreciated! I made it through the night without actually vomiting (thank goodness, because that would have hurt given how tight my chest still is) but still felt bad on Saturday. My mom came to take care of Marah, and I pretty much slept most of the day. I had been told that fatigue would hit around day four; that was another lie. I have been exhausted since Saturday morning and still can't get things going. I was able to get ready for church today, but taking a shower just about did me in. And writing this blog is pretty challenging, so you're not getting your normal dose of humor and pictures.

I had hoped to get back to work on Monday, but that clearly won't be happening based on how I feel today. Maybe I'll be there by the end of the week.  But for now, it is time for yet another nap.


No comments:

Post a Comment