Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Two Days of Target

I have felt pretty great the last couple of days, and have so much to share! On Tuesday I had my final drain removed. I didn't pass out this time, and being free of tubing and not having to carry around a little plastic receptacle of my own blood and fluids makes me very happy. Troy had Tuesday off from work, so after the drain was pulled I made Troy celebrate with me by going shopping for Marah clothes at my favorite consignment store. Then, we went to Target. I imagine this is how I looked:


Like most people I know, I do love some shopping at Target. I went with the purpose of shopping in the maternity section. No, I am not pregnant (obviously...if I had a kid now it would definitely die since I can't make breast milk any more). I figured out that maternity tank tops are the perfect shirt to wear after you've had your boobs cut off. They are so stretchy I can pull them up from the bottom rather than over my head. It is perfect! And, even more perfect, there were some on TARGET CLEARANCE! Oh my goodness it was wonderful! I even went to a different Target today to experience a different selection of clearance maternity tank tops.


In addition to two Target trips over the last two days, I went grocery shopping today. It was in the cheese and cold cut section where I had my first real experience of knowing that I no longer have to worry about my nipples popping out when I am cold! As Troy and I approached the frozen food section I happily strutted my stuff, wearing one of my new maternity tank tops, proud in the knowledge that no nipples would be showing. It really was liberating! And then, at church tonight, I sat in my class and felt the air conditioner pumping out cold air. I started to get cold and then all I could do was think about how I didn't have to put on my cardigan right away. At this point I doubt I'll even bother with nipple reconstruction. Just imagine, I will never have to wear a bra again. My boobs will be perky and I won't have to cover any protruding nippage.

So, I have been very active the last two days, but it really wears me out. Tuesday, after Troy and I got home, I passed out for three hours. I was still tired today and slept in until 9:30am, and still had a tough time getting going. While I look pretty normal, and even feel pretty good, I am still recovering from major surgery. I can't lift anything that is heavier than 10 pounds, and even that is a stretch. It is really hard for me to bend over and pick up anything off the floor. Putting any kind of pressure on my arms - like scrubbing the kitchen counter - is a no-go. I have limited range of motion in my arms. I can't jump, run, or walk quickly. Riding in a car on a bumpy road really hurts. I have learned how to do things with my feet and legs, like opening the dish washer and pulling out the bottom rack. I also like to kick doors open. So, given that I am pretty limited with my arms, I am still extremely appreciative of the help people have been giving. Meals have been a real blessing. I can't even imagine carrying a pot of water from the sink to the stove. I wanted a glass of milk today, but the gallon hadn't been opened yet and I was afraid of trying to open it myself. So, thank you to all of the friends who continue to provide help!

What's next? Monday is the oncologist. Tuesday is my first physical therapy session, and Thursday I get to experience my first round of fluid being added to my tissue expanders. Yippee!




1 comment:

  1. Love this post! You are inspiring through your humor, candor, faith and strength.

    ReplyDelete