Tuesday, January 19, 2016

What I will miss

DMU was closed yesterday in observance of Martin Luther King day, which gave me a free day to do whatever I wanted. And you know what? I read. All day. From 7:30am until I had to pick Marah up at 2:30pm. It was wonderful. I drank about a dozen cups of tea and had a cat on my lap for most of the day. And, most importantly, I was able to allow my body to really recover from chemo. I wasn't feeling bad about missing work. I wasn't pushing myself to feel better before I really did. And now today I felt absolutely AMAZING! I am going to try to take the next two Mondays off from work so that I can feel this good so quickly after chemo.

When I feel this good I have a really positive attitude about chemo. So, today I started to think about what I will miss about chemo. There are a ton of things I won't miss, and I think I have chronicled those things pretty well. But here's what I will miss:

  • The opportunity to spend devoted time with friends and family. I cherish the time I have been able to spend with the individuals who have joined me for chemo. Not since the birth of my child have I been able to carve out 3-4 hours a week for time with friends. I will miss it.
  • HGTV. Troy and I don't have cable tv, satellite, or any of those fancy ways to watch tv. We have less than a dozen tv channels at home. I love HGTV and rarely get to watch it. I enjoy travel for work because most hotels have HGTV. I joke that at the end of a long day I love to lay in my hotel room bed, pantsless, watching HGTV. And while I'm not pantsless at chemo, HGTV is definitely on.
  • Junk food. I lost so much weight after my surgery and the first round of chemo that I truly could eat anything I wanted. Well, that really needs to stop soon. My scale tells me that. So for the next couple of weeks I will eat candy bars for breakfast because I still have the chemo excuse. 
  • Not needing to worry about personal grooming. Enough said.
  • The nurses at John Stoddard. They truly are wonderful people, and I enjoy chatting with them every week. They work with a tough patient population and I have loads of respect for them. I will miss seeing their friendly faces.
  • Drugged shopping. I didn't enjoy feeling REALLY high from chemo, but I don't mind the level of high I feel with Taxol and all the meds I get along with it. And I really enjoy shopping at Target when I am a little high. It is a good thing chemo is ending soon otherwise this could become a real problem. 

So, there's my little list! Two more chemo dates to go. It is a little surreal to think about. I can't believe I have made it this far!!



No comments:

Post a Comment