Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A visit to the plastic surgeon

Yesterday, Troy and I met with the plastic surgeon to discuss the reconstruction part of my surgery. That's the part where I get new boobs. The surgeon was very nice and explained things well, so I think I understand what I'm getting into. Basically, after the general surgeon is done destroying my boobs the plastic surgeon will come in and start to fix things. He'll insert one of these beauties - called a tissue expander - where my new boobs will eventually go.



Because the implant will go under muscle, we need to stretch the muscle slowly to create a place for the implant. I'll make several visits to the plastic surgeon's office post-surgery to have more and more fluid added to the expander until I am the size I want to be. I'm thinking I'll go for this look:



At that point, the surgeon will remove the expander and insert the real implants during an outpatient procedure. It all sounds simple, but it will take quite a bit of time and will be a bit uncomfortable.

Some people have asked if I will miss my boobs after they are gone. I'm not too worried about this, mostly because I have a boob twin. Yes, there is another person on this planet whose boobs are pretty much identical to mine. Laura and I were in graduate school, attending a conference in California, when we made this great discovery. I still remember standing side-by-side, topless in front of a mirror in a San Diego motel room, in awe that God had created TWO sets of such marvelous boobs! I've asked Laura to send me boob pictures on demand if necessary, and I'm confident that she'll help me out.

Me and Laura back in 2002.


I haven't written too much about Troy and Marah yet. They are doing fine. Well, Marah doesn't really have a clue as to what is going on. She just knows that mommy will have to go to the hospital to have an ouchie on her boob fixed. Troy is being a great support, but he will need help just as I will. So, here are some ways you can help Troy:
  1. Figure out a time to come have a beer with him. He's a social guy and likes people. Unlike me. And he likes beer.
  2. Volunteer to come babysit me so he can go ride his bike. I probably won't be able to be home alone with Marah for a couple of weeks, and it will be important for Troy to be able to go out and ride his bike for a few hours.
  3. Mow the yard. It is already hard enough finding time to do this, and it will be doubly hard when I am out of commission and unable to watch Marah on my own.
Thanks again for all of the support and kind words. It is all appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post!
    http://www.yorkers.org

    ReplyDelete