Sunday, August 30, 2015

Hanging out at the hospital

Well, surgery is over and here I am in the hospital! This post will be short; I feel a little high from the painkillers.

Friday was the big day. Getting checked in to the hospital was easy, and all of the nurses were very nice. I did learn the hard way that not all hospital transporters are especially bright. I really think that as I patient I shouldn't have to tell hospital staff where I am supposed to be. Sigh. I made it to the OR at about 11:00, and the last thing I remember from that was having a mask placed over my nose and mouth. Waking up from surgery wasn't so much fun, and then being moved into my hospital bed was horrible. I had some pain from the surgery, but the worst was dizziness and nausea from the painkillers. So, I slept on and off most of the day Saturday. The nurses really wanted me to use the toilet and I finally had success with that late Saturday afternoon. Poor Jen Owens even got to witness me vomiting (sorry, Jen!).  The good news from the surgery was that the cancer hadn't spread to any nodes! Yay for that!

I had a hard time convincing the doctors and nurses that the painkillers they were giving me were making me miserable. On Sunday one of the nurses was finally able to convince one of the residents that I needed something else. So, now I am feeling pretty good. A little dizzy still but I was able to take a lap around the floor without much assistance. And I am still using the toilet like a good girl.

So fair I haven't had the nerve to look at the ports (I have two drainage ports on each side that will need emptied for about a week) or my non-existent boobs. That will come soon enough. I have some great decorations in my room! Flowers from the DPT faculty and my FXB team. And a card from some DMU colleagues. And a Magic Mike XXL poster. I've decided that being in the hospital isn't so bad if you feel okay; I get room service and cable tv. People bring me stuff when I ask. And I get to lay around in crummy nightgowns with no pants! I head home tomorrow, and that will be pretty good, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment