Sunday, November 29, 2015

Does this chemo make me look red?

Taxol #3 is in the books, but it came with some added drama this time...a full allergic reaction! Typically if a person is going to have a reaction to Taxol it happens during the first or second treatment. My first treatment was totally fine, my second treatment had a slight reaction, but it was my third treatment when my body revolted. It was about five minutes into the Taxol when my chest tightened, I got really hot, and I turned to Troy to ask if I was red. Yes, he said, I was very red. So, I pulled the emergency cord in my room and the nurses came running! They immediately stopped the Taxol and pumped my body full of additional fluids and Zantac. They eventually started the Taxol again and the rest of the treatment went well. One of the nurses explained what was going on in my body really well: I have antibodies in my body, and they don't like it when the Taxol comes into their territory. They want to fight the Taxol (as well they should, since it is poison after all). I am given Benadryl and/or Zantac before Taxol, because those drugs act as the peacemakers. They make sure that the Taxol and antibodies get along so the Taxol can do its job. I didn't have enough peacemakers when the Taxol got started so the antibodies started fighting, which showed itself as the allergic reaction. So, we'll see what the plan is for Taxol #4 on Friday! If I turn red again I really hope to get a picture.

A couple days ago I received a surprise package in the mail from Angela, which was really thoughtful and contained some great natural skin products for my chemo skin. When I thanked her, Angela explained that she was being conscious of my love languages. How brilliant! I first read Gary Chapman's "The Five Love Languages" over ten years ago and the concepts have stayed with me (and Angela, and many others who read the book) over the years and across relationships. Of the love languages, I feel most cared for and loved with quality time and acts of service. Next comes receiving gifts. Then we have words of affirmation and physical touch. So, luckily for Angela, she doesn't need to give me physical touch in order for me to feel her love!

A few people have asked me how the Farrell's work outs have been going. Well, I gave up on that. I know a lot of people found it inspiring that I was going and giving it my all, but it was killing me. There was one workout that made me feel absolutely horrible - like I couldn't get myself off my bed for an hour afterwards - that confirmed that my body can't handle it right now. I know that I could still go and take it easy, but that's not in my nature. If I am there I want to do it all, and then I'll end up feeling horrible again. So, maybe I'll be back when all this is done. Either way, I will always be thankful that Farrell's helped prepare me for my battle against cancer and I will forever recommend that program!

Well, that's it from here! This week brings physical therapy, plastic surgery, a full work week and more chemo. And, of course, the annual DMU holiday party on Friday night. I have a new dress to wear. And the wig just might make an appearance!

No comments:

Post a Comment