Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Good riddance!

Last Friday was my last A/C chemo treatment! Good riddance to that. The side effects this time around weren't too awful; I haven't had the upset stomach yet, which is odd, but I think I slept the entire weekend. Fatigue was probably at its worst, but I can manage that much better than having an icky stomach.

One way that I describe how I feel after chemo is "high." Some days I feel much more high than others, and yesterday I had my highest day yet. People also call this high "chemo brain", and I had it at its full force. The day started off innocently enough, but quickly went downhill when my physical therapy appointment was cancelled while I was driving to the appointment. I was really annoyed. Who cancels a 9am appointment with a chemo patient anyway? Do they not understand how much work it was to shower and get dressed and leave the house by 8:15am? I was in a bit of a fog while I was driving, and on the way home decided that going to Target would be a great idea. Of course Target is always a great idea, but wandering around the store totally high was really weird. I bought the most random stuff and have no idea why. So, if you want to share a gigantic container of frosted animal crackers with me come on over. I don't really like them. But they seemed like a great idea at the time.

When I got home from Target I needed to write my dad a birthday card. I could barely get my hand to use a pen to write a message. Then I decided that I really needed to eat fried eggs. So I made two eggs and was really happy with myself. I started to clean up the kitchen and then decided that I needed to eat more eggs. So I made more. I'm pretty sure at some point between egg eatings I had a long phone conversation with my mom, but I'm not entirely sure about it. By the time Troy got home for lunch I had started several random projects, never cleaned up my eggs, and was ready to go to bed for the rest of the day. Being high all morning took a lot out of me.

I've been asked several times if I can drink while I am on chemo. The answer is "no", and even if I could I would not want to. I really don't like not feeling normal. I've never been much of a drinker. I was the girl in college pretending to drink at the parties. When I studied aboad in London I would order a pint of Pepsi and said it was the house dark beer. Even in Vegas I couldn't stomach a whole lot. I just don't enjoy not feeling normal. And after so many days of feeling high, I really have no desire to feel that way any time again soon. Plain old normal sounds so great right now!

So, I'm hoping "normal" comes soon. I felt pretty good today, and the next chemo doesn't start for another week and a half.  And maybe, just maybe, the next chemo won't be so bad. I am getting used to how my chest feels - dare I say it is the new normal? I have another fill tomorrow, which is getting to be no big deal at all. I think - I hope - things are looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment