Thursday, November 19, 2015

I have a date!

Monday, February 29, 2016! Today I scheduled my replacement surgery, which will be the last major thing I'll do on my way to cancer recovery. I am so excited to have an end date! Yes, there will be recovery from the surgery and all kinds of follow-up, but for me, it will mark the end of all of this. February 29 is an important date for my family. Is is the day, almost four years ago, that my grandmother passed away. She was 101 years old and lived a very good life. She lived independently up until the last two weeks. She had her mind, her eyes, and her sense of humor all the way until the end. She sometimes said that God had forgotten about her; who ever expects to live to be 101 after all? But she was great, and she is missed, and I am happy to end my cancer journey on the day she left us to leap into heaven.

I scheduled the surgery after meeting with the plastic surgeon for my fifth boob fill. We're getting pretty close to being done with the fills - I'm guessing maybe two or three more. My biggest boob annoyance right now is that they are pretty much in my arm pits. If you look at my boobs from the side they look pretty big, but in the middle they are still small. They will stay like this until surgery, when the doctor will squish things back together. I learned that full recovery from the surgery will be about 6-8 weeks, but I'll feel pretty good after just one week.  I can consider nipple reconstruction three to four months after surgery.

Tomorrow marks my second round of Taxol. The first treatment last week wasn't bad. I didn't really feel any side effects, which was great. I get a little tired, but nothing at all like the fatigue I had from the A/C chemo. Before the nurses administer the Taxol they give me a strong dose of Benadryl to help prevent any allergic reaction. Then, when the Taxol gets started, I have to be monitored for allergic reactions (Troy had to make sure I didn't turn red). The Benadryl really knocked me out, so I'm sure Angela will have a wonderful time tomorrow watching me sleep. As I continue with treatments I likely will experience numbness in my hands and feet and will probably lose my eyebrows and eyelashes. The most delightful possible side effect I learned about is that my fingernails could turn black and fall off. Sounds great.

So, Thanksgiving is next week and I feel like I should share a few things I am thankful for. Here you go:

  • I am thankful that I found the cancer when I did, that it was stage one, and that my recovery from surgery went pretty well
  • I am thankful for the doctors and nurses who provided care to me in the hospital, but I am most thankful for the patient care techs (CNAs) who had to do the dirty work
  • I am thankful for my physical therapist and the way she rubs my boobs
  • I am thankful for my workplace for being so flexible with my schedule, and especially to the new leadership in my office for dealing with me (welcome to DMU, I have cancer!) 
  • I am so thankful for all of my friends who have gone along this journey with me - Jen, Angela, Angie, Laura, Marianne, Sadie, Alyssa, Lisa, Anna, Layne, Kristin, Liz, and many more
  • I am thankful for everyone who has prayed for me
  • I am thankful for the new people who have come into my life as a result of cancer
  • I am thankful for the overwhelming support of my church community
  • I am thankful to live in a place where treatment options are readily available, even though the costs associated with them are ridiculous 
  • I am thankful to all the people who provided meals
  • I am thankful for my cat, Netflix, the McDonald's drive through, Target, and lots of other little things that brighten my day
  • I am thankful for those who still remember to check in on me
  • And finally, I am so thankful for my family. My parents have been amazing. My husband has been forced to step up in a way he probably never imagined. My daughter is sweet and shows so much love. And my sister-in-law continues to keep us well fed.
There's a lot more I could add to the list, I'm sure. But in the end, I am most thankful that I will live a long life because that pesky cancer was found early! Ladies, remember to check your boobs!













1 comment:

  1. Awesome Katie! Keep your chin up--so proud of you! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete